7607 W. College Dr.
Palos Heights, IL 60463
Phone : (708) 361-1804
Fax: (708) 923-7112
Monday - Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Welcome to the City of Palos Heights Building Department homepage. We hope that this website will help guide you in your building project. Permits are required for most home improvements, see our list of permit applications at the bottom of this page to check if there is an application for the type of work you will be doing. If you do not see the type of work listed, please give us a call and check to see a permit is needed.
NOTICE: As of October 2, 2013 the City approved Ordinance 150.11 (D): Prior to the issuance of a building permit for any purpose, the recipient or property owner shall be current on all other obligations to the city concerning other fees and licenses including, but not restricted to, vehicle stickers, water bills, and any other licensing requirements.
As of January 1, 2011, all contractors must be a Certified Renovator licensed with the U.S. E.P.A. to work on pre 1978 homes. Failure to comply with this new regulation may result in fines of up to $37,500 per occurrence. To be registered for the Certified Renovator Course, please contact: www.epa.gov/lead or call 1-800-424-LEAD (5323).
For more information and brochures, visit http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/brochure.htm
For Residential New Construction and Additions
Verify the zoning of your property on the Zoning Map.
Before a building permit can be issued, it will be necessary to submit the following:
- Building Permit Application
- Three (3) sets of blueprints (signed and stamped, each page)
- A license for each contractor (see Contractor's License Application)
- At the time of application, an escrow account will need to be set-up for our City Engineer. For New Construction, an escrow amount of $5,000 is required. For additions that require foundations, an escrow amount of $1,000 is required. Any funds not used from these accounts will be refunded once the entire project is completed (including landscaping and final grading).
- Site Plan/Topographical Survey (required if any ground is broken)
- Showing building plotted on location drawing, containing elevations.
- Foundation Location/Spot Survey
- Upon completion of foundation, contractor must submit to the Building Department a Foundation Location/Spot Survey of the foundation on the lot giving all front, side, and rear yard dimensions. A survey prepared by anyone but a licensed surveyor will not be acceptable.
- Contractor must NOT proceed with construction until the City Engineer has approved the Foundation Location/ Spot Survey.
- The plumbing inspector will turn off the water at the Buffalo Box following the final inspection. When the Occupancy Permit is issued, water will then be turned on, the meter sealed and read by the water department.
- Model homes will be billed for water the same as a resident when completed.
- State law requires a residential smoke detector on each habitable level, any rise of seven inches or more constitute a level. Detector shall be powered by 110-volt supply on separate circuit and shall also be equipped with a batter back-up system. Smoke detectors shall cause the actuation of all other smoke detectors on the residence.
Homeowner Agreement Form
Building Height Worksheet
THE BUILDING CANNOT BE OCCUPIED
WITHOUT AN OCCUPANCY CERTIFICATE
For Commercial/Industrial New Construction Instructions, Click Here
For Instructions to Open a Business, Click Here
All contractors wishing to work in our City need to obtain a City of Palos Heights Contractor’s License (please see the application to review our requirements). It is the responsibility of the general contractor to inform any subcontractors about our licensing requirement. The Building Department will not release permits until all contractors for the project are licensed.
Contractor's License Application
The following is a list of Building Codes that the City of
Palos Heights has adopted:
2004 Illinois Plumbing Code
2011 Chicago Electrical Code
Building Code 2009
- ICC Performance Code For Building and Facilities 2009
- International Mechanical Code 2009
- City of Palos Heights Zoning Code
- International Fuel and Gas Code 2009
- International Energy Conservation Code 2009
- NFPA 101 Life Safety Code 2003
- International Residential Code For One and Two Families 2009
- National Fire Code 2009
An electronic version of the Code of Ordinances for the City of Palos Heights is available through the American Legal Publishing website.
Below is a list of permit applications, available in the PDF format:
POD (Movable Storage)